Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A phone by any other name...

Sometimes on calm quiet nights, when the air is dry and cool if you step outside you can hear a faint, low frequency carrying across the ocean. That sound is emanating from my balcony, where I stand and weep aloud every night because I know, deep down, that the world is over calling things 'phones' but we won't let the term go.

It's a shame, with all of the great things our mobile devices can do, they've held on to the tired old moniker related their first function. Apple and Google extended the world's love affair with the word phone by naming and referring to their devices as iPhone and Superphones respectively - but wouldn't it be cooler if these big players chose something else to refer to their great devices?

A New Standard

The results of this My Opera poll show that fewer people use phones primarily for talking anyway, at least from the perspective of our visitors. Should we call them 'Messagers' instead?

Kudos to the Android platform; I've called my iOS devices Droids at times because they're the closest thing I have to an R2 unit or protocol droid in my life and make more sense than Phone. :irked: But we can't call everything Droids, I know. I propose that we call them something simple, like: Coms. We use them to communicate, and nearly all have access to the web, where .com means the same thing to all devices, no matter who makes them.:happy:

Then again, most of the world still calls tanks, tanks - and that was before they even got their real functions. So I might be crying for at least a hundred years.

If you could rename the phones of the world to something else, what would it be?

Related Stats DISCOVER FINANCIAL SERVICES Source: DIODES INORATED Best Practices DIEBOLD computer network DELL

Source: http://my.opera.com/chooseopera/blog/show.dml/31053772

No comments:

Post a Comment